10 Best Cheap Vegan Meal Recipes For Your Kids
Are you on a tight budget and trying to go vegan? Not a problem. Despite widespread misconceptions about this way of life, it's quite simple to find inexpensive vegan food and make delicious meals with it.
Focusing on these staple foods will help you stick to a budget while still eating a plant-based diet that includes hearty beans, pasta, rice, potatoes, and seasonal vegetables. Let’s try these simple, cheap vegan meal recipes.
1. Vegan Chili Sin Carne Recipe
Your new go-to weeknight dinner will be this substantial and simple chilli sin carne! This 30-minute dish is tasty and substantial in protein and only requires healthy, inexpensive ingredients.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Servings: 4
- Garlic: 4 cloves
- Onions: 2 medium
- Vegetable broth divided: 360 ml
- Bell pepper: 150 g, finely chopped
- Carrot: 1 medium, finely chopped
- Zucchini: 1 small, finely chopped
- Diced tomatoes: 420 ml
- Tomato paste: 100g
- Corn kernels: 165 g
- Cooked kidney beans: 350 g
- Cooked chickpeas: 160 g
- Soy sauce: 3 tablespoons
- Paprika: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin: ½ teaspoon
- Chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- The garlic and onion should be sautéed over medium-high heat until just beginning to become tender. You can use water, vegetable broth, or olive oil for this phase. Add half a cup of the vegetable broth, bell pepper, carrot and zucchini. Five more minutes of sautéing with intermittent stirring.
- Add the other ingredients, including vegetable broth, tomato paste, kidney beans, corn, chickpeas, soy sauce, paprika, cumin, and chilli powder. Stir thoroughly, then boil the uncovered liquid for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Serve warm with rice, Mexican chips, baked potatoes, cornbread, or more chilli and salt to taste. Enjoy!
2. Vegan Falafel Burgers Recipe
This recipe makes a filling, nutritious burger. Anyone looking for a filling snack low in calories will love these.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 6 minutes | Total time: 16 minutes | Servings: 4
- Chickpeas: 400g, rinsed and drained
- Red onion: 1 small, roughly chopped
- Garlic: 1 clove, chopped
- Fresh parsley: ½-1 cup
- Ground cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Ground coriander: 1 teaspoon
- Harissa paste or chilli powder: ½ teaspoon
- Plain or glutenfree flour: 2 tablespoons
- Avocado oil: 2 tablespoons
Ingredients To Serve
- Pitta bread, toasted
- Tomato salsa: 200g
- Green or mixed salad
- The chickpeas should be drained and dried with paper towels. Add the flour, harissa paste, onion, garlic, parsley, cumin, coriander, and a little salt to a food processor. Blend until mostly smooth, then use your hands to form four patties.
- Fry the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, or until they are just beginning to turn golden, in heated avocado oil in a nonstick frying pan. Serve with the green salad, tomato salsa, and toasted pita bread.
3. Vegan Flavourful Thai Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
This quick 20-minute whole-food plant-based Thai vegetable stir-fry with pumpkin and tofu is delicious and healthful. This gluten-free midweek dinner is simple to make, perfect for beginners, and incredibly comforting. For a quick lunch, reheat leftovers and serve with rice or noodles!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes | Servings: 4
- Kabocha squash: 1 medium, cubed
- Eggplant: 1 medium, cubed
- Button mushrooms: 140 g, sliced
- Baby corn: 1 cup
- Broccoli: 1 medium
- Sugar snap peas: 115 g
- Firm tofu: 150 g
- Scallions, diced: 2
- Veggie broth: 80 ml
Ingredients For The Stir Fry Sauce
- Soy sauce: 4 tablespoons
- Cornstarch: 2 teaspoons
- Coconut sugar: 2 teaspoons
- White vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Ginger: 1 teaspoon
- Water: 80 ml
- Put every sauce component into a jar, cover it with the lid, and shake vigorously. Tofu should be cut into cubes and placed in a bowl. Add stir-fry sauce, coat everything evenly, and put it away to marinate.
- Cubed winter squash, a little bit of water or cooking oil, and a big non-stick pan over medium-high heat Once it has slightly softened cook it for around 5 minutes before adding the remaining vegetables and broth. Stirring regularly, sauté everything for around 6 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Then, add the marinated tofu to the pan and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Take a tiny mouthful, then modify the flavour to your preference. To serve, top your veggie stir-fry with Thai basil, cashews, and brown rice.
- Enjoy warm or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave as needed.
4. Veggie Soup With Turmeric Recipe
Make this simple, anti-inflammatory soup with wilted greens, lentils, and warming spices like turmeric and ginger! Ideal for food preparation, affordable, and family-friendly.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes | Servings: 3
- Red lentils, dry: 190 g
- Russet potato: 1
- Carrots: 2, cut into slices
- Celery: 3 stalks, diced
- Yellow onion: 1 large, finely diced
- Garlic: 3 cloves, diced
- Low sodium vegetable broth: 950 ml
- Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon, freshly squeezed
- Parsley: 1 cup
- Tomato paste: 1 tablespoon
- Tomatoes: 240 ml
- Baby spinach: 60 g
- Cumin: 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric: 1 teaspoon
- Sweet paprika: 2 teaspoons
- Coriander seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Fresh ginger: 1-inch piece, peeled and grated
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper: 1 teaspoon, freshly ground
- Over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, potato, and spices to a large pot. Stirring regularly, sauté everything in a bit of water for 5 minutes. Tomato paste, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes should all be added. Before adding the dried lentils and thoroughly combining everything, stir and bring to a boil.
- Once the potatoes and lentils are cooked but not overcooked, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to your carrot lentil soup before adding the spinach and simmering for five minutes.
- Your homemade anti-inflammatory soup will be ready when you turn off the heat, add the chopped parsley and lemon juice, and serve it warm.
5. Vegan Risotto With Mushrooms & Peas Recipe
Leeks, peas, and mushrooms are used to make this rich, creamy one-pot vegan risotto. This quick and low-fat dinner meal is wonderfully tasty and adaptable, and it's ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes | Servings: 2
- Onion: 1, chopped
- Garlic: 2 cloves minced
- White button mushrooms: 3 cups (225 g), sliced
- Leek: ½ cup (100 g), chopped
- Arborio rice: 1 cup (225 g)
- Vegetable broth: 2-3 cups (480-720 ml)
- Nutritional yeast: 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice: 2 tablespoons
- White wine vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Peas: 1 cup (160 g)
- Soy or coconut milk: 1 cup (240 ml)
- White miso paste: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper: ½ teaspoon
- Herbs de Provence: 2 teaspoons
- For a few minutes, sauté onions, garlic, and herbs in a large skillet with a splash of vegetable broth. Sometimes stir.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes with the leek and mushrooms, adding extra vegetable broth as necessary.
- Arborio rice, soy milk, vinegar, and 2 cups vegetable broth should now be added to the pan. If using miso paste, combine it with a spoon and whisk it in.
- Allow it to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cooking liquid has been absorbed. Take care to stir your risotto at least once every few minutes! Add the peas, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice to the prepared risotto after it has finished cooking.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and turn the heat off. Serve warm, garnished with fresh herbs, and adjust to taste.
6. Vegan Mushroom & Lentil Pasta Recipe
The substantial lentil pasta sauce will satiate even the ravenous eaters in this lentil and mushroom ragout recipe. Serve your preferred pasta with this vegan ragout!
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes | Servings: 4
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Button mushrooms: 12 oz
- Garlic cloves: 4
- Carrot: 1 large
- Green bell pepper: ½
- Yellow onion: ½ medium
- Red wine: ¼ cup
- Bay leaf: 1
- Crushed tomatoes: 1 can
- Water: 2½ cups
- Dried oregano: 2 teaspoons
- Kosher salt: ½ teaspoon
- Ground black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
- Red pepper flakes: ¼ teaspoon
- Spaghetti noodles: 1 pound
- Fresh basil: 1 tablespoon
- Chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Heat oil to a medium-high temperature in a large saucepot. Add the bell pepper, onion, carrot, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook, frequently stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are very brown and soft.
- Add wine and stir continuously for 1 minute. Browned bits at the pan's bottom can be removed using a wooden spoon.
- Bay leaf, tomato sauce, water, lentils, oregano, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes should all be stirred in. Heat until it boils, then turn the heat down to medium. Stirring regularly, simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- When necessary, add additional water in ½ cup increments if the ragout becomes too thick. Prepare pasta as directed on the package in the meanwhile. To serve, take the bay leaf out of the ragout and add the basil. Over pasta, serve the ragout. Serve topped with parsley as a garnish.
7. Vegan Coconut Curry Soup Recipe
Now is the ideal time to curl up with a big bowl of this creamy and nourishing curry coconut soup. You have all you need to stay warm on those chilly days and nights. It also makes a great dish to prepare ahead of time for those idle weekends.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes | Servings: 6
- Vegetable oil: 1 tablespoon
- Onion any colour: 1 small
- Garlic: 3 cloves, minced
- Green or red bell pepper: 1 medium, diced
- Diced tomatoes: 14.5 oz
- Chickpeas: 15 oz
- Vegetable broth: 4 cups
- Cumin: 1½ teaspoons
- Curry powder: 2½ teaspoons
- Coconut milk: 13.5 oz
- Brown rice cooked: ½ cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, warm the oil in a big pot.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Vegetables should be cooked for five minutes, stirring regularly, until they are soft.
- Curry powder, cumin, tomatoes, chickpeas, and broth should all be added. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and gently simmer for 10 minutes while stirring now and again. Cook the brown rice for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly, after adding the coconut milk.
8. Vegan Tortilla Pizza Recipe
This low-fat, low-calorie vegan pizza counts as two of your “five a day” and is quite tasty! Contains a gluten-free choice.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes | Servings: 1
- Low-fat tortilla wraps: 2
- Tomato pizza sauce or Arrabbiata sauce (see below)
- Nutritional yeast: 2 tablespoons, heaped (optional)
- Onion: 1 small, sliced
- Olive oil spray
- A mixture of chopped vegetables.
- Fresh basil, chopped finely
Ingredients For The Arrabbiata Sauce (Optional)
- Canned tomatoes or passata: ¼ cup
- Dried chilli flakes: ½ teaspoon
- Garlic: 1 clove
- Fresh basil
- Make sure you have a grill rack or pizza tray and preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. (so the pizza can cook underneath).
Method For The Arrabbiata Sauce
- In a food processor, blend the tomatoes, chilli flakes, garlic, and basil to create the hot sauce. Or use pizza sauce from a jar.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the sauce and some nutritional yeast on top of the wrap.
- With a splash of water or a low-calorie olive oil spray, sauté the onion and veggies for the vegan wraps in a frying pan over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Distribute the vegetables on the wraps.
- Place the vegan wraps in the oven and bake them for 10-12 minutes. Turn them, so they bake evenly. Remove the vegan wraps from the oven once they are golden brown.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh basil onto them and serve them cold or hot.
9. Vegan Easy Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
The finest vegan lentil shepherd's pie you'll ever cook is this one! A delicious, tangy gravy sauce made from protein-rich lentils and nutritious vegetables is topped with mashed potatoes before being baked to golden brown perfection. A filling meal that meets all the criteria for comfort food.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes | Servings: 8
- Bob’s Red Mill Potato Flakes: 2 cups
- Water: 2¼ cups
- Cold non-dairy milk: ¾ cup
Ingredients For The Shepherd’s Pie Filling
- Dry lentils: 1 cup
- Water: 3 cups
- Yellow onion:
- Frozen mixed vegetables: 2 cups
- Garlic powder: 1 tablespoon
- Smoked paprika: 1 teaspoon.
- Vegan ketchup: ½ cup CREATE LINK
- Low-sodium soy sauce: 2 tablespoons
- Liquid smoke: 1 teaspoon.
- Corn starch or arrowroot starch: 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the non-dairy milk after taking the pot off the heat. Gently whisk in the potato flakes but DO NOT whip.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Place aside. In a saucepan, mix the lentils with the water or broth and bring it to a boil. Cook the lentils for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are cooked, on simmering heat with the lid on.
- The onions should be sautéed for two to three minutes to tender in a preheated nonstick skillet over medium heat. After that, add the frozen vegetables and cook for five minutes to allow them to defrost partially. Add the cooked lentils to the onion and vegetable mixture after lowering the heat to low.
- Mix gently until everything is mixed. After adding the ingredients, stir in the liquid smoke, smoked paprika, ketchup, and soy sauce. After equally distributing the cornstarch or arrowroot powder over the mixture, swirl the filling for a few seconds to incorporate it. Stir it constantly until it slightly thickens. Typically 1-2 minutes.
- It won't be particularly thick, more like the gravy in consistency. If required, taste and add salt and pepper. Put The Vegan Shepherd's Pie together. Set your oven to 375 degrees. Smooth the lentil filling into a baking dish that can go in the oven.
- Over the top, dollop and evenly spread the mashed potatoes. For 20 to 25 minutes, bake the vegan shepherd's pie in the oven. To get the potatoes' tops to brown and become crispy, take the baking dish out of the oven, turn on the broiler, and return it for a few minutes.
- Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to five days if they are sealed tightly.
10. Vegan Chickpea Curry Jacket Potatoes Recipe
This delectable chickpea curry jacket will add protein to a vegan diet. It makes a hearty lunch or simple midweek dish with lots of flavours.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 60 minutes | Servings: 4
- Sweet potatoes: 4
- Coconut oil: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: 1½ teaspoons
- Onion: 1 large
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Green chilli: 1
- Garam masala: 1 teaspoon
- Ground coriander: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Tikka masala paste: 2 tablespoons
- Chopped tomatoes: 2 x 400g cans
- Chickpeas: 2 x 400g, drained
- Lemon wedges and coriander leaves (to serve)
- Thumb-sized of ginger
- Preheat to 200°C. The sweet potatoes should be forked all over, placed on a baking sheet, and baked for 45 minutes or until they are soft when pierced with a knife. In the meantime, warm up the coconut oil in a big pot over medium heat.
- After adding the onion and cooking it for 7–10 minutes until softened, add the cumin seeds and cook them for 1 minute until fragrant. Cook the garlic, ginger, and green chilli in the pan for two to three minutes. Once fragrant, add the tomatoes after cooking the spices and tikka masala paste for 2 minutes.
- After bringing to a simmer, add the chickpeas and cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until thickened. Place the cut-open, four-plate supply of roasted sweet potatoes.
- Lemon wedges should be squeezed over the chickpea curry before serving. Before serving, season and top with coriander.
I trust you enjoyed this article about the 10 Best Cheap Vegan Meal Recipes For Your Kids. Please stay tuned for more blog posts to come shortly. Take care!
>>>Want To Learn How To Create Delicious, Cruelty-Free, Healthy AND 100% Vegan Meals? Try These Awesome Vegan Cooking Courses With A Free 7-DAY MEMBERSHIP<<<
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
Ideas? Thoughts? Questions? I would love to hear from you. Would you please leave me your questions, experience, and remarks about this article on the 10 Best Cheap Vegan Meal Recipes For Your Kids, in the comments section below? You can also reach me by email at Jeannette@LivingTheVeganLifestyle.org.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate and other affiliate programs. Read my full disclosure.