7 Delicious Vegan Watermelon Recipes For Your Kids
How many different, equally delectable shapes watermelons can adopt will surprise you! Here are 7 vegan watermelon recipes you must try if you're looking for tasty, original ways to include watermelon in your kids' meals.
How To Buy Watermelon
Purchasing a nice watermelon is the first step in keeping it fresh. You want a watermelon with a firm exterior, no matter what size or seed count you're aiming for. It is useless if you can press your finger into it. Try to find a watermelon without dents or cuts, as these conditions can also cause over-ripening.
Your watermelon should have a hollow, drum-like sound when you tap it. That indicates that there is delicious fruit and juice inside that is ready to spill.
How To Store Watermelon
Keep your watermelon off the counter and out of direct sunlight if you're not going to eat it right away. According to the USDA, melons should be stored at room temperature to preserve their nutrients and flavour. In climate control or mild weather, a fresh watermelon can be left on the counter for one to two weeks. According to the Watermelon Board, a whole watermelon keeps best if you store it at a temperature of 55°F.
Don't freak out if your watermelon is ripe and you don't have time to eat it. Don't, however, cut either. Put the entire watermelon in the refrigerator, which will remain fresh for two to three weeks. The refrigerator's cool temperature will slow the ripening process.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon
Here are the top health benefits of watermelon.
1. Improve Heart Health
Citrulline, an abundant amino acid found in watermelon, may aid blood circulation and reduce blood pressure. The benefits of all the lycopene that watermelon contains are also enjoyed by your heart. According to studies, it might reduce your risk of heart attacks. Your entire lifestyle, of course, impacts your heart health. So be sure to exercise, abstain from smoking, consume a limited amount of saturated fat, and follow your doctor's instructions.
2. Protects Joints
Beta-cryptoxanthin, a naturally occurring pigment found in watermelon, may help to reduce inflammation in your joints. According to research, it may lower your risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Improve Eye Health
One medium slice of watermelon provides 9–11% of the recommended amount of vitamin A daily. This nutrient is essential for maintaining the health of your eyes. Food is the most excellent way to receive all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
4. Naturally Sweet Hydration
Being 92 percent water, juicy watermelon is an easy way to remain hydrated. You require water for all of your body's cells. You may feel lethargic if there is even a slight lack. The severity of dehydration can rise to the point that intravenous fluids are required.
5. Great For Skin
Watermelon's vitamins A, B6, and C support the health and suppleness of your skin. Melon also works well as a face mask because it is very high in water. Greek yogurt and 1 tablespoon of juice from watermelon are combined. For 10 minutes, spread over your face to slough off any dry, dull skin. Towel dry after rinsing.
6. Best For Sweet Tooth
You should expect to consume about 300 calories from one cup of ice cream. The exact amount of watermelon contains only 45.6 calories. Unlike many other desserts, it is also sodium, cholesterol, and fat-free. Its water content will also help you feel fuller for longer. Make a simple sorbet by blending some watermelon, adding a squeeze of lime, and freezing it.
Vegan Watermelon Recipes
1. Vegan Watermelon Sushi
A spooky and delectable imitation of raw tuna is created when watermelon is roasted, then cured in a flavourful broth. The watermelon can be prepared the previous evening and left to work its magic in the refrigerator.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Servings: 10
Ingredients For The Watermelon Sushi
- Seedless watermelon: ¼ small
- Sunflower oil: 3 tablespoons
Ingredients For The Marinade
- Tamari: 2 tablespoons
- Mirin: 2 tablespoons
- Sesame oil: 2 teaspoons
- Rice vinegar: ¼ cup
Ingredients For The Sushi Rice
- Short-grain rice or sushi rice: 1 cup
- Cold water: 1¼ cups
- Rice vinegar: 3 tablespoons
- Raw caster sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Pickled ginger to serve
Method For The Watermelon
- Set the oven's temperature to 350°F. Cut two 4×1-inch blocks of watermelon without the peel for the sushi. The watermelon blocks should be placed within an oven-safe plate with 2 teaspoons of sunflower oil added. Add the final 1 tablespoon of oil, then bake the food for 20 minutes.
- The watermelon should be turned over before returning it to the oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes while keeping an eye out for browning. Take the food out of the oven to cool a little. In the meantime, mix the rice vinegar, sesame oil, mirin, tamari, and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the watermelon after it has slightly cooled, wrap it in foil, and let it sit for 20 minutes before putting it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Method For The Sushi Rice
- Rinse it in a sieve with cold water until the water is clear. Transfer to a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom after thorough draining. Over medium to high heat, add the cold water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is soft. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes covered. Put the rice in a bowl made of glass or wood. Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in another bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add the vinegar mixture and gently swirl it through the rice. Cover the rice with a clean, wet cloth when it reaches room temperature.
- Form a handful of the sushi rice into a 2-inch-long rod before repeating with the remaining rice to make the sushi. Before placing the marinated watermelon over the rice, cut it at an angle to resemble sushi tuna. To serve, sprinkle pickled ginger over the top.
2. Vegan Watermelon Steak
Juicy watermelon is transformed into a mouthwateringly chewy vegan steak in this pan-seared Easy Vegan Watermelon Steak! Who would have thought that a watermelon steak existed? Or in a flavourful dish? You're going to adore this, I assure you.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes | Servings: 4
- Seedless watermelon: ½ large
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Liquid smoke: ½ teaspoon
- Dark soy sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Dried thyme or rosemary: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic minced: 2 cloves
- Salt and pepper: ¼ teaspoon
- Watermelon should be cut in half lengthwise. Slices should be 1½ inches wide, flat side down. Each of these slices should be cut into the greatest rectangle possible. A half of a watermelon should yield roughly six steaks. With paper towels, pat the steaks dry. If you have the time to remove extra moisture, put them in the refrigerator uncovered for one to two hours. Give them one last pat as you get ready. Oil, liquid smoke, garlic, salt, pepper, soy sauce, and thyme are all whisked together.
- Your watermelon steaks should marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer. Pour the marinade over them, making sure they are thoroughly coated.
- In a large saute pan over low to medium heat, add oil. Cook each steak for approximately five minutes on each side. Turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook for an additional minute on each side until just faintly browned.
- Serve hot with the remaining marinade from the curing process on top.
3. Vegan Watermelon Ceviche
This vegan raw watermelon ceviche will blow your mind with deliciousness! Simple to prepare, simple to enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Servings: 5
- Cubed watermelon: 2 cups
- Limes: 2 whole
- Stalks scallion: 2 whole
- Jalapeño: 1
- English cucumber: ½
- Zest from lime: 1 lime
- Extra virgin olive oil: 2–3 tablespoons
- Flour tortillas: 4
- Cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A handful of fresh coriander
- Watermelon should be put in a big basin. Mix in freshly squeezed lime juice then set aside for at least 15 minutes. As a result, the watermelon can absorb some lime juice, which helps to break down the fruit and balance out its sweetness. Construct the tortillas.
- Spray cooking spray into a nonstick skillet and heat it over medium temperature. Add the tortilla when it is heated. Simply delicately pierce a few holes with your knife so that it flattens when it begins to produce bubbles.
- For about 1 to 2 minutes, toast each side until golden brown. Slice into chips after removing them. Set apart for cooling.
- Scallions, jalapenos, coriander, cucumber, lime zest, black pepper, a good teaspoon of kosher salt, and olive oil should all be combined in a separate, big shallow bowl.
- After removing the watermelon from the remaining lime juice combination, add it to the cucumber mixture. Mix well, then check the salt level by tasting. Add fresh coriander leaves as a garnish. With homemade chippers, please!
4. Vegan Watermelon Rind Dosa
A tasty, refreshing pancake prepared from watermelon rind—the white part you'd usually throw out—tastes like watermelons and is perfect for summer. Serve alongside some chilly, revitalizing mint chutney.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes | Servings: 10
- Chopped watermelon rind: 2½ cups
- Rice: 1 cup
- Coconut milk: ½ cup
- Poha or flattened or beaten rice: ¼ cup
- Rice and poha, if utilized, should soak for an hour. Drain the soaking water. Blend the ingredients in a blender until they form a smooth but slightly gritty mixture. If additional water is required, add a few tablespoons until the batter is the desired consistency. If you want thin dosas, the batter should be rather thin and runny. Make the batter as thick as ordinary pancake batter for thicker dosas.
- Allow the batter to rest for eight hours or overnight. Warm up a griddle. Half a cup of the batter should be poured in the middle. If your batter is thin, it will naturally spread into a circle. If thick, use the spoon to aid in forming a circle.
- Cook the dosa till bubbles start to form all over. To crispen the edges and aid in the dosa's release from the pan, spray or drizzle a few drops of oil around the perimeter.
- Turn over and cook for another 30 seconds after the bottom is golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney made with mint or cilantro. Let's enjoy.
5. Vegan Watermelon Rind Tomato Sauce
This recipe for zero-waste, wallet-friendly, delicious tomato sauce using watermelon rind just calls for four ingredients.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 60 minutes | Servings: 4
- Olive oil: 3 tablespoons
- Onion, diced: 1
- Watermelon rind: 6 cups
- Diced tomatoes: 425g
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- On medium heat, add the oil and onion to a large pot. Cook for around five minutes.
- Add the watermelon rind and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and tilting the pot's top so that all of the fluid stays within.
- Add the diced tomatoes and ½ cup (125 ml) of water after 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally; cook the watermelon for 30 minutes or until it is very soft.
- After cooking, season it to taste with salt and pepper and serve it with mashed potatoes.
6. Vegan Watermelon Popsicle
The raw vegan watermelon popsicles are pretty simple to make, but they do take a day to prepare. This is so that it won't become a marbled mess because it has three layers, and you must freeze each one before adding another.
Prep time: 1 hour | Cook time: 14 hours | Total time: 15 hours | Servings: 7
Ingredients For The Red Layer
- Watermelon: 3½ cups
- Cacao nibs: 1 tablespoon
- A pinch of salt
Ingredients For The White Layer
- Cashew: ¼ cup
- Non-alcohol vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
- Agave nectar: 1½ teaspoons
- Lemon juice: ½ teaspoon
- Water: ¼ cup
Ingredients For The Green Layer
- Avocado: ½
- Agave nectar: 2½ teaspoons
- Lime juice: 1 tablespoon
- Water: ¼ cup
- The tiniest bit of spirulina, like a spec (optional for colour)
Method For The Red Layer
- To make blending easier, roughly chop the seedless watermelon until smooth, blend. Put it in a container that will make pouring it into the popsicle mould simpler. Add the cacao nibs or vegan raw chocolate chips and stir.
- Add additional agave nectar to the watermelon to make it sweeter if you are using the cacao nibs and it isn't as sweet as it could be. The sweetness of the watermelon must counteract the bitterness of the cocoa nibs.
- About 70% of the way, pour it into the popsicle mould. Popsicle sticks should be placed inside the lid. Place it in the freezer for 5 to 6 hours to make it solid. Use a different handle if the mould you are using prevents you from adding layers after inserting the handle. For a few hours, freeze the mould without the handle until it is solid enough to hold the wooden popsicle stick. Refreeze it by placing it in the freezer once again.
- While this red layer is being frozen, soak the cashews for the subsequent white layer so that it will be ready.
Method For The White Layer
- While you are freezing this crimson layer to make it ready, soak the cashews for the subsequent white layer. Drain and rinse the cashews. Start mixing after adding all the components to the blender minus the water.
- Use as little water as necessary to transform the mixture into a thick cream, no more. The boundary between the red and white layers blurs if you add too much water and make it too thin. Take the mould out of the freezer and use a tiny spoon to pour the cream into the mould carefully.
- Add more cashews to thicken it if you unintentionally thinned it out too much. You can pour the white layer to the desired thickness. Refreeze it for a further three to four hours to allow it to thicken.
Method For The Green Layer
- Blend the green layer ingredients in a blender until they are entirely smooth.
- Take the mould out of the freezer and add the avocado cream with a tiny spoon. After giving the mould a gentle shake from side to side to smooth out the surface, put it back in the freezer for another 3 to 4 hours or until it is completely frozen.
- Simply run them under cool water for a few seconds to get them out of the stainless steel moulds. Just that will do. Afterward, remove the popsicle from the mould.
7. Watermelon Gelato
When watermelon is frozen and made into this excellent, dairy- and sugar-free gelato, it gets even better. It's enchanted!
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 20 minutes | Servings: 4
- Frozen cubed watermelon: 5 cups
- Sliced overripe banana: 1 cup
- Coconut nectar: ½-1 tablespoon
- Raw cashew butter: 1-2 tablespoon
- Put banana and watermelon in a food processor (if you prefer to use a blender, it must be high-speed for this recipe). Using a pulse, first mince the frozen fruit into small pieces or slivers before switching to puree.
- Blend until smooth, occasionally pausing to scrape down the food processor. Taste it, and add the sweetener if you think it needs a little more sweetness. Serve immediately or place in the freezer for at least an hour for a firmer gelato.
Typical summer fruit is watermelon. They are icy, juicy, and revitalizing. Due to their high water content, watermelons are the ideal fruit to consume to stay cool and hydrated during the warmer months. So don't miss trying these vegan watermelon recipes; I hope your kids will love them very much.
Would you like to grow your own watermelons but only have a small space? Please read our Simple Guide To Growing Watermelon In Containers.
I trust you enjoyed this article about the 7 Delicious Vegan Watermelon Recipes For Your Kids. Please stay tuned for more blog posts to come shortly. Take care!
>>>Want To Learn How To Create Delicious, Cruelty-Free, Healthy AND 100% Vegan Meals? Try These Awesome Vegan Cooking Courses With A Free 7-DAY MEMBERSHIP<<<
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
Ideas? Thoughts? Questions? I would love to hear from you. Would you please leave me your questions, experience, and remarks about this article on the 7 Delicious Vegan Watermelon Recipes For Your Kids in the comments section below? You can also reach me by email at Jeannette@LivingTheVeganLifestyle.org.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate and other affiliate programs. Read my full disclosure.