6 Healthy Vegan Recipes Using Thyme For Your Kids
Thyme, also known by its scientific name Thymus vulgaris, is a member of the mint family and a close relative of the oregano genus Origanum. Is thyme a spice or a herb? Is a common question regarding a condiment. It is an evergreen herb used for medicinal, culinary, and ornamental purposes.
Thyme is also known as “thym” in French, “Thymian” in German, “tomillo” in Spanish, and “timi” in Indonesia. It is typically measured in sprigs, which can yield up to a half-teaspoon of leaves when peeled. Of course, this again depends on the size of the stems.
The Greek word “thumus,” which means “courage,” is the source of the English word “thyme.” Thyme has long been used as a natural anti-depressant and linked to bravery throughout history. Let’s try some delicious vegan recipes using Thyme.
Health Benefits Of Thyme
Thyme, also known by its scientific name Thymus vulgaris, is a member of the mint family and a close relative of the oregano genus Origanum. Is thyme a spice or a herb? It is a common question regarding a condiment. It is an evergreen herb used in food, medicine, and ornamentation.
Thyme's advantages are swiftly gaining popularity. These vegetables in your fridge or kitchen cupboards can improve your general health. Thyme consumption may promote digestive health, combat cancer, reduce inflammation, strengthen the immune system, alleviate dyspraxia, and improve heart health. They are also simple to integrate into a person's diet. Thyme might have certain negative consequences if consumed in excess.
Improves Heart Health
Numerous studies support this. Thyme extract was discovered to drastically lower heart rate in rats with high blood pressure. Likewise, we can anticipate the same outcomes in people. It has also been discovered that thyme lowers cholesterol. You can substitute thyme for salt in your dishes. You can avoid the harmful effects of high blood pressure by doing this. According to a different study, thyme may aid in treating atherosclerosis, a severe type of cardiovascular disease.
Helps Fight Cancer
Thyme may help prevent cancer, especially colon cancer, according to a Portuguese study. Its components, some of which include oleanolic acid, ursolic acid, lutein, and beta-sitosterol, are responsible for these qualities. Thyme was also helpful for treating breast cancer.
The herb may increase cancer cell death, which positively impacts breast cancer therapy. According to one study, Carvacrol is another critical ingredient in thyme essential oil that inhibits the growth and migration of cancer cell lines. The substance has medicinal properties that can be used to cure and possibly prevent cancer, particularly colon cancer.
According to studies, thyme oil can reduce COX-2, an inflammatory enzyme that causes several diseases. It was discovered that the main ingredient in the oil, carvacrol, is involved in this. Like resveratrol, another potent component of red wine that has been associated with several health advantages, carvacrol was discovered to inhibit inflammation.
Another study discusses the anti-inflammatory properties of carvacrol and another substance called thymol found in thyme essential oil. The oil is also utilized to lessen painful gout and arthritic symptoms.
Improves Skin Health
Thyme oil can shield your skin from associated illnesses because of its antibacterial and antifungal characteristics. It functions as a natural acne treatment. Additionally, the oil treats cuts, scars, sores, and wounds. Even burns are soothed and work as a home cure for rashes on the skin.
Additionally, the uncomfortable skin condition known as eczema, which causes dry, itchy scales that blister and split, may be helped by thyme oil. Since thyme relieves both poor digestion and stress, it can also help treat eczema, which is frequently brought on by these two factors. Additionally, thyme's high antioxidant content helps slow down aging and gives you healthy, radiant skin.
Thyme and witch hazel can both be used to cure acne. Give the two a 20-minute soak in hot water. After that, apply a cotton ball to the troubled areas. After waiting 20 minutes, rinse off with warm water.
Everything makes sense now that you know how much vitamin C thyme contains. It also contains a lot of vitamin A, two substances that help strengthen immunity and fend off colds before they start. Thyme helps the immune system by promoting the production of white blood cells. Additionally, its anti-inflammatory actions aid in enhancing immunity. It can be used in a steam tent because of its moderate flavour and fragrance to aid with congestion and the common cold.
Thyme can hasten the healing of wounds. This can be done with the help of its local application.
Aids In The Treatment Of Dyspraxia
Dyspraxia, also known as Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), is a neurological condition that impairs movement. It has been discovered that thyme helps with this disease's symptoms, especially in youngsters. In a study to determine the effectiveness of essential oils in treating neurological conditions like dyspraxia, thyme oil was one of the oils utilized. Additionally, the study's findings were encouraging. To provide a firm foundation in this aspect, more research is necessary.
Improves Digestive Health
Thyme is renowned for limiting the production of toxic gases in the stomach and improving digestion. Thyme's volatile oils, which have carminative (reducing gas) qualities, are responsible for this action. Additionally, antispasmodic thyme eases intestinal cramps.
Treats Respiratory Issues
Do you still recall what Hippocrates said 2300 years ago? Yes. And we've previously talked about this. Thyme improves immunity, which aids in the treatment of most respiratory conditions. Thyme has also long been used to treat coughs and other respiratory conditions, including bronchitis.
Thyme has been authorized for usage in treating respiratory discomfort by The German Commission E (a governmental regulatory body). According to one study, thyme and ivy leaves can help with coughing and other acute bronchitis symptoms. The next time you cough or sore throat, try drinking some thyme tea for comfort.
Vegan Recipes Using Thyme
1. Easy Vegan Mushroom Pasta With Fresh Thyme
Making vegan mushroom pasta only requires a few everyday items and takes less than 30 minutes. This vegan meal is delicious and easy to make.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Servings: 4
- Gluten-free pasta, uncooked: 1 cup
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Mushrooms, sliced: 2 cups
- Fresh thyme leaves: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, minced: 2 teaspoon
- Rice flour: 1 teaspoon
- Almond milk: 1 cup
- Nutritional yeast: 1 teaspoon
- Pink Himalayan salt: 1 teaspoon
- Follow the package's instructions for cooking pasta. Place aside. Over medium heat, warm the oil in a big pan. Sizzle for around two minutes after adding fresh thyme leaves.
- Add the mushrooms along with pepper and ½ teaspoon. of pink salt. Add garlic after around 5 minutes of cooking. Cook the food until it becomes mushy and wilted.
- The nutritional yeast and rice flour should be well combined. Almond milk should be whisked in; then, the sauce should be reduced and cooked until it thickens (around 3-5minutes). Add cooked spaghetti and stir. If necessary, add extra salt or pepper. Divide among bowls, top with nutritional yeast, and add thyme leaves for decoration.
2. Vegan Lemon, Garlic, And Thyme Sauce
This dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free, and delicious vegan lemon, garlic, and thyme sauce with pasta and roasted tomatoes are full of a thick and creamy lemon sauce. This dish gets a boost from fresh herbs and becomes a nutritious plant-based meal every night of the week!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes | Servings: 2
- Raw pine nuts: 1 cup
- Fresh lemon juice: 6 tablespoons
- Water: 6 tablespoons
- Garlic peeled: 4 large
- Explore Cuisine Red Lentil Penne Pasta: 8 oz
- Sprigs of fresh thyme leaves were removed: 5 long
- Ground black pepper: ½ teaspoon
- Set a pan on a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bring a lot of water to a rolling boil. When the water is boiling, add the pasta and season it carefully. Cook for 8–10 minutes or until al dente. The spaghetti will taste bland if the water is not salted.
- Add the sliced tomatoes to the lined pan and season with salt and pepper while you wait for the pasta to cook. For ten minutes, bake. The bottoms of the tomatoes should be nicely browned and bubbling. The pasta and tomatoes should be finished at roughly the same time.
- Make the lemon sauce while the pasta and tomatoes are cooking.
- Add all ingredients under “Lemon Garlic Thyme Sauce to a Vitamix.” Thyme leaves should be slipped off in the opposite direction they are facing for optimal results.
- They will easily fall off in this manner. The mixture should be smooth. The sides and lid will need to be scraped down several times. Re-blend the mixture until it is smooth and the nut pieces are gone. It should have a delicious pucker of lemon and a creamy, buttery flavour.
- Drain the cooked pasta, then add it to dishes with the necessary quantity of lemon sauce. Add as much fresh parsley as desired, toss, then top with tomatoes and other pine nuts.
- Either do this quickly in a toaster oven or cook it in a pan on the stove over low heat, stirring often. In a few minutes, they will toast quickly, so keep an eye on them.
3. Mushroom And Thyme Rolls
These delectable chickpea, thyme, and mushroom rolls are simple to make and ideal for a quick and nutritious vegan supper.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes | Servings: 6
- White onion: 150g
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Mushrooms: 300g
- Chickpeas drained (keep the water): 400g
- Ground polenta: 150g
- Dried thyme: 2 teaspoons
- Vegan puff pastry: 300g
- A good pinch of salt
- A good pinch of ground black pepper
- Put the onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse until very finely minced for the filling. Take out and put in a basin. Mushrooms should be placed in a food processor and pulse until very finely minced.
- Remove and add to the bowl containing the garlic and onions. In your food processor, add the drained chickpeas, and pulse just until they are finely chopped but still have some texture. Add to the bowl containing the onions, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Mix well before adding the polenta, salt, and pepper. Combine the mixture after adding the thyme. Lay your puff pastry sheet on a table and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Place half of the filling along one side of the cut half, trying to keep the mixture as equal as possible.
- Wet the edge of the pastry with a bit of water before folding it over the filling. Apply pressure to seal. With the remaining half of the puff pastry, repeat steps 6 and 7.
- Place on your prepared tray, cut 6 even rolls from each on your prepared tray, and score the tops with a knife. Apply the chickpea water to the tops.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 170 °C or until golden and risen.
4. Mushroom Gnocchi With Thyme
This dish of mushroom gnocchi cooked in white wine and thyme is the epitome of comfort cuisine. You'll make this straightforward, delectable dish over and over again!
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes | Servings: 4
- Potato gnocchi: 500 g
- Mushrooms: 300 g
- Butter or vegan spread: 50 g
- Onion: 1 medium
- Garlic cloves: 2 small
- Dry white wine: 60 ml
- Fresh thyme: 3 teaspoon
- Tamari sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Sea salt: 1 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Melt 25g of butter in a large pan. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan. Add tamari sauce, season with salt and pepper, and cook the mushrooms until golden brown. Cook the garlic and onion slices for an additional five minutes. Add thyme after pouring the white wine. Reduce the heat and let the food cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Gnocchi is prepared by boiling them in a sizable pan of salted water. The gnocchi should be drained after cooking and added to the pan with the mushrooms. Add the remaining butter, combine, and cook the gnocchi until golden brown.
5. Vegan Mushroom And Thyme Soup
This vegan mushroom and thyme soup comes together beautifully and is quite simple to make. It can warm you up during the colder months and be served as an entree or a main course.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes | Servings: 4
- Brown rice: ½ cup
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Onion, diced: 1
- Garlic, minced: 2 cloves
- Button mushrooms, sliced: 250g
- Firmly packed: 2 cups
- Fresh thyme: 2 sprigs
- Vegetable broth: 6 cups
- Pepper: ½ teaspoon
- After a thorough rinse, add the rice to a small saucepan. 250ml of fresh water, add 1 cup and bring to a boil. Cook at a simmer for the duration of the cooking process, tilting the pot lid to allow steam to escape.
- For the remaining soup, heat a sizable saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onions, and garlic; then completely cover the pan. Stirring after a few minutes will help the onion and garlic cook with the steam. Replace the lid after adding the chopped mushrooms. This will assist the mushrooms in sweating down and making a small amount of sauce at the bottom of the pan. 3 to 5 minutes of cooking. Stir thoroughly after adding the grated zucchini.
- Add the water, stock, and thyme. Bring to a boil before lowering the heat to a low simmer. It ought should take around 10 minutes.
- The rice can now be added after it has completed cooking. For an additional 20 minutes, simmer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Garlic And Thyme Mushrooms
You'll adore this dish if you like mushrooms. These go well with bread, mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, and so on. You may use any type of mushroom, but portobello, crimini, or chanterelles are some of our favourites.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes | Servings: 4
- Mushrooms of choice: 1 pound
- Finely chopped fresh garlic: 2 Tablespoons
- Thyme: 1 Tablespoon
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
- Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
- White wine: 2 Tablespoons
- Fresh chives or green onions: 2 tablespoons
- If you don't want to use oil, heat a non-stick pan instead. Gently heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Depending on the water level of the mushrooms you're using, cook for a solid 5–10 minutes after adding them once the pan is heated, stirring occasionally. (White button, crimini, and chanterelle cook the quickest; shiitake, portobello, and shiitake take a little longer.)
- Continue stirring once the mushrooms start to release their water until they start to become brown. If using, add white wine; otherwise, omit it and add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper instead.
- The garlic must cook for one or two more minutes to soften and get golden. Don't let the garlic burn, please. Before serving, season to taste and top with chives or green onions.
- Enjoy with toast, over pasta or rice, as a side dish, or as a tasty starter.
Herbs include thyme. Medicine is made from flowers, leaves, and oil. Thyme is occasionally combined with other herbs. You may visit our guide if you would love to grow thyme in your small space. Don’t miss trying these vegan recipes using thyme, hope your kids will love them all very much.
I trust you enjoyed this article about the 6 Healthy Vegan Recipes Using Thyme For Your Kids. Please stay tuned for more blog posts to come shortly. Take care!
>>>Want To Learn How To Create Your Own Delicious, Healthy AND 100% Vegan Meals For You And Your Family? Click Here For My #1 Recommendation<<<
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
Ideas? Thoughts? Questions? I would love to hear from you. Would you please leave me your questions, experience, and remarks about this article on the 6 Healthy Vegan Recipes Using Thyme For Your Kids, in the comments section below? You can also reach me by email at Jeannette@LivingTheVeganLifestyle.org.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate and other affiliate programs. Read my full disclosure.