7 Delicious Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipes For Your Kids
Did you ever have Mac and Cheese as kids? Do you miss this comfort food because you are vegan? Would you like to make Vegan Mac And Cheese For Your Kids?
You are in the right place. The plant-based Mac and Cheese is much healthier than the dairy version. I usually serve our Mac and Cheese with a crisp salad and some of my children's favourite vegetables.
Benefits Of Veganism For Your Health
As vegans, we avoid eating or using animal products and animal by-products.
Veganism is excellent for your health since we don't eat meat like beef, pork, lamb, veal or chicken. We neither consume fish, seafood, dairy, honey or other animal by-products.
The vegan diet has fewer calories and more healthy fibre. Vegans generally eat whole foods and less processed products.
Veganism is excellent for everyone who wants to lose weight weight. A vegan diet can help with losing or gaining weight. Eating an animal-free diet may help you maintain or improve your heart health. What's more, this diet may offer some protection against type 2 diabetes and certain cancers.
Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipes
There are many benefits to veganism. Here are some delicious vegan Mac and Cheese recipes for you to try.
1. Amazing Vegan Mac And Cheese
This vegan Mac and Cheese is an amazingly creamy and remarkably cheese-like vegan Mac and Cheese recipe!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40-45 minutes | Servings: 2 large or 4 modest
- Elbow macaroni: 8 oz
- Broccoli: 1 head (approximately 1½ to 2 cups), florets chopped into tiny bits, optional*
- Avocado oil: 1½ tablespoons (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- Yellow onion: 1 small, diced (about 1½ cup)
- Russet potato (organic): 1 peeled and shredded (4 oz)
- Garlic: 3 cloves, crushed or minced
- Garlic powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Onion powder: ½ teaspoon
- Mustard powder: ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- Sea salt: ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Red pepper flakes: ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Raw cashews: ⅔ cup
- Nutritional yeast: ¼ cup nutritional
- Distilled white vinegar: 2 to 3 tablespoons or to taste
- Toss the pasta in a big saucepan of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook as directed on the packet. If using broccoli, add it to the saucepan when there are only 2 to 3 minutes left. Drain the contents and place them in a big serving basin.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-to-large saucepan at medium heat. Add the onion and a little salt and simmer until the onion is soft and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Combine the shredded potato, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt, and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl. Stir to incorporate, then cook for approximately 1 minute, stirring continually, to bring out their flavours.
- Combine the cashews and water in a mixing bowl. Bring the mixture to a low simmer. Continue to cook, to turn often and decrease the heat as needed to prevent a quick boil, until the potatoes are soft (for another 5 to 8 minutes).
- Pour the contents into a blender with care. 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast and 2 tablespoons vinegar Blend for approximately 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed until the mixture is perfectly smooth. If the mixture is difficult to combine or you want a thinner consistency, add a little bit of water at the time, stirring until it has the consistency you want.
- Taste and season with more salt until the sauce is entirely delicious (I usually add another ½ teaspoon). Add the remaining teaspoon of vinegar if it needs a bit extra zing. Blend once more.
- Combine the vegan cheese sauce with the pasta and stir until everything is thoroughly blended.
- Serve right away. Leftovers store nicely for 3 to 4 days if kept refrigerated and covered. Reheat over low heat, adding a dash of water if needed to loosen the sauce.
2. The Best Vegan Mac And Cheese
Toss this homemade vegan Mac and Cheese in a quick & easy cashew “cheese” sauce. It is as fast to prepare and much healthier than the boxed version.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes | Servings: 8
- Raw cashews: 1½ cups (soaked in water for 2 hours, if desired)
- Lemon juice: 3 tablespoons, freshly squeezed
- Sea salt: 1½ teaspoons
- Water: ¾ cup
- Nutritional yeast: 1 tablespoon
- Chilli powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic: 1 clove
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper: 1 pinch (optional)
- Mustard: ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Pasta of your choice: 16 oz (elbows or shells) (we use gluten-free)
- Paprika and freshly ground black pepper for garnish
- Cook the pasta of your choice as directed. If you soaked the cashews, drain them. (This makes blending them simpler.)
- In a high-powered blender, mix the cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chilli powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne (if using), and mustard while the pasta is boiling. Add 2-4 tablespoons of water if the mixture is too thick, and blend until it is smooth.
- Drain and rinse the pasta once it is tender, then return it to the saucepan and toss in the cheese sauce. Season with pepper and salt to taste, and serve immediately!
3. Classic Baked Vegan Mac And Cheese
This classic vegan Mac and Cheese is seriously satisfying. It is extra cheesy, creamy and saucy. Top it with breadcrumbs and bake until it is golden brown and crispy.
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour | Servings: 8
Ingredients For The Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Vegan butter: ½ cup (112g)
- Gluten-free flour: 6 tablespoons
- Unsweetened coconut milk: 3 cans (5 cups) (1200ml)
- Vegetable stock: 1 cup (240ml)
- Dijon mustard: 3 tablespoons
- Nutritional yeast: 1 cup (60g)
- Onion powder: 3 tablespoons
- Garlic powder: ⅓ teaspoon or to taste
- Smoked paprika: 1½ teaspoons
- Salt: 1½ teaspoons or to taste
- Black pepper: 1½ teaspoons or to taste
Ingredients For The Macaroni
- Elbow Macaroni: 18 oz (500g)
Ingredients For The Breadcrumbs
- Gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs: 1 cup
- Vegan butter: 2 tablespoons, melted
- In a small pot, melt the vegan butter on low heat.
- Then briskly whisk in the all-purpose flour with the melted butter.
- Add the canned vegetable stock and coconut milk. To remove the lumps, use a hand whisk. Continue whisking until it begins to boil, then for a few minutes after it has boiled until it thickens. It will thicken as it cools, so it doesn't have to be completely thickened when you take it from the fire as long as it has thickened significantly since you began.
- Whisk in the dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper after removing it from the heat. You may start making your pasta now that your sauce is ready.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions, then drain and rinse.
- Toss the cooked macaroni into the sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the pasta and sauce into a 9×13 baking dish and spread it.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- To make the crumb topping, break three thick slices of toasted white bread into small pieces and puree them in a blender. Pulse the mixture until it resembles crumbs. Then transfer the crumbs mixture into a bowl and stir it with the melted vegan butter.
- Sprinkle the homemade breadcrumbs onto the Mac n' Cheese.
- Bake until the Mac n' Cheese is golden brown and crispy on top (about 20 minutes.
4. Easy Vegan Mac And Cheese
An easy recipe for how to make vegan mac and Cheese that even non-vegans will love.
Prep time: 5-7 minutes | Total time: 5-7 minutes | Servings: 3
- Raw cashews or macadamia nuts: ½ cup
- Carrot: 1 medium, peeled and steamed (80g)
- Nutritional yeast: ¼ cup nutritional (or vegan cheese style shreds)
- White or cider vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Water: ½ cup water (plus more if needed for soaking)
- Vegetable oil: 2 tablespoons buttery (for richness, optional)
- Sea salt: 1 teaspoon
- Onion powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg: ⅛ teaspoon
- Pasta of your choice: 8 oz
- Soak the cashews for 2-6 hours or overnight in your fridge.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Combine all ingredients (including ½ cup water but excluding the optional cheese-style shreds) and mix until smooth with an immersion blender or a blender.
- Heat the cheese mixture in a small saucepan until it reaches the desired temperature, whisking in optional cheese shreds towards the end.
- Taste and season with more spices (onion, salt, nutmeg, pepper) if desired — I like to add ½ teaspoon of salt and a touch of nutmeg. Serve with cooked pasta, rice, vegetables, and other side dishes.
5. Vegan Mac And Cheese With Potatoes
Vegan Mac and Cheese, made from scratch with easy-to-get ingredients. It's flavourful, cheesy, creamy, and ready in 30-35 minutes!
Prep time: 10-15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30-35 minutes | Servings: 6-8
Ingredients For The Pasta
Gluten-free dry pasta: 1 lb (450g) (I used elbow macaroni)
Ingredients For The Vegan Cheese
- Potatoes: 2 cups (360 g), peeled and diced potatoes
- Carrots: 1 cup (135g), peeled and diced
- Extra virgin olive oil: ⅓ cup (85 ml)
- Unsweetened plant-based milk: ½ cup (125 ml)
- Nutritional yeast: ¼ cup
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- Sea salt: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder: ½ teaspoon
- Onion powder: 1 teaspoon
- In a large saucepan, boil or steam the potatoes and carrots for approximately 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta of your choice according to the package recommendations. Drain the water and put it aside.
- In a blender, combine all the vegan cheese ingredients (including the boiled potatoes and carrots) and puree until smooth.
- Toss the cooked macaroni with the vegan Cheese in the saucepan, and immediately serve your vegan Mac and Cheese if they're both hot. If they aren't, reheat the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes before serving.
- You may serve them with a vegan burrito, vegan tacos, vegan meatloaf, or vegan bread pieces.
- Refrigerate leftovers for 3-5 days or freeze them for 2-3 months in an airtight container. If the sauce is too thick to reheat, add a splash of plant milk.
6. Instant Pot Vegan Mac And Cheese
A fast, creamy, dairy-free, and gluten-free Mac and Cheese made with cashews, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast in the Instant Pot! This sauce thickens when it cooks directly in the same pot as the pasta.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes | Servings: 6
- Raw cashews: 1 cup, soaked in water for 2 hours
- Water: 4½ cups, divided
- Nutritional yeast: ¼ cup
- Sea salt: 2 teaspoons or to taste
- Lemon juice: 2 tablespoons, freshly squeezed
- Apple cider vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Ground nutmeg: ¼ teaspoon
- Gluten-free pasta: 12 oz
- Drain the cashews and combine them with 2 cups of water, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, vinegar, and nutmeg in a high-speed blender. Blend the mixture until it is smooth.
- Add the gluten-free pasta to the Instant Pot. Pour the sauce on the top and stir it well.
- Use 2 more cups of water to “rinse out” your blender and add it to the Instant Pot. Close the lid, and turn the knob to “sealing.” Cook on high pressure for zero minutes (yes, zero minutes), then let the steam pressure release for about 8 minutes.
- Once the screen says LO:08, carefully turn to knob to venting, release the steam in the pot and remove the lid. Pour the remaining ½ cup of water into the pot and stir well using a wooden spoon. Make sure to remove any pasta that has stuck to the bottom of the pot. Adjust any seasoning to taste, and serve warm.
- Feel free to make this more of an “adult” Mac n' Cheese by adding your favourite vegetables before serving. I love to stir in roasted broccoli, sautéed mushrooms, or fold fresh baby spinach, so it wilts before serving.
7. Vegan Mac & Cheese With Potatoes And Broccoli
Do you love pasta? I do! This vegan Mac & Cheese is healthy since it contains broccoli, potatoes and sweet potatoes. I love this vegan Mac & ‘Cheese'! It is incredible! This vegan pasta dish is ‘comfort food' with creamy, cheesy pasta.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes | Servings: 5
Ingredients For The Mac & Cheese
- Dry shell pasta: 4 cups (256 g)
- Potatoes: 3 medium, peeled, cubed
- Sweet potatoes: 2 medium, peeled, cubed
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons (30 mL)
- Garlic: 3 cloves, minced
- All-purpose flour: ¼ cup (34 g)
- Unsweetened soy milk: 3 cups (720 mL)
- Raw cashews: ½ cup (65 g), soaked overnight
- Nutritional yeast flakes: 3 tablespoons (7 g)
- Lemon: 1
- Sodium-reduced soy sauce: 1 tablespoon (15 mL)
- Dried rosemary: 1 tablespoon (3 g)
- Dijon mustard: 2 teaspoons (10 mL)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (6 g)
- Ground black pepper: 1 pinch
- Broccoli: 1 medium, cut into florets
Ingredients For The Speedy Garlic Bread Crumbs
- Breadcrumbs: ½ cup (54 g)
- Olive oil: 2 teaspoons (10 mL)
- Garlic: 2 cloves, crushed
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Sriracha hot sauce
- Cook the pasta in (salted) boiling water as per the directions on the package until they are al dente. Drain them and set them aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, steam the potatoes until they are soft (for about 15 minutes).
- To make the breadcrumbs (optional): Heat the oil on medium heat in a small pot. Add the garlic and cook until golden (1-2 minutes). Then add the bread crumbs and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir constantly until the bread crumbs are crunchy and toasted.
- Add the olive oil and the garlic to a large saucepan and cook on medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned (~ 1 minute).
- Add the flour, and continuously stir until golden brown (~ 1 minute). Then stirring constantly add the plant-based milk in a slow and steady stream.
- Add the steamed potatoes, drained cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, soy sauce, rosemary, mustard, salt, and pepper to the pot. Mix.
- Blend the mixture with an immersion blender until it achieves a creamy consistency. Then transfer it to a standing blender and blend, then return to the pot.
- Add this point, add the prepared broccoli florets and cook them in the sauce for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the al dente macaroni to the sauce, and mix to coat. Sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs, and enjoy!
- Nutrition tip: Use fortified plant-based milk.
- Speed-it-up: You can soak the cashews in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse them.
- Storage: Store the vegan Mac & Cheese in an airtight glass container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Veganism is excellent for our health and our environment. We can enjoy veganism without having to give up our comfort foods.
In this blog post, I shared some delicious dairy-free Mac n' Cheese recipes you can try out for your kids.
I trust you enjoyed this article about the 7 Delicious Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipes For Your Kids. Please stay tuned for more blog posts to come shortly. Take care!
>>>Do You Love Cheese? Do You Want To Learn How To Make Your Own Delicious, Healthy AND 100% Vegan Cheese For You And Your Family? Click here for My #1 Recommendation<<<
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
Ideas? Thoughts? Questions? I would love to hear from you. Would you please leave me your questions, experience, and remarks about this article on the 7 Delicious Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipes For Your Kids, in the comments section below? You can also reach me by email at Jeannette@LivingTheVeganLifestyle.org.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate and other affiliate programs. Read my full disclosure.
Here are links to some of my favourite articles:
6 Delicious Vegan Cheddar Cheese Recipes For Your Kids
6 Delicious Vegan Brownie Recipes For Your Kids
5 Delicious Vegan Recipes Using Potatoes For Your Kids
6 Healthy Vegan Recipes Using Thyme For Your Kids
6 Healthy Vegan Recipes Using Parsley For Your Kids
7 Healthy Vegan Recipes Using Basil For Your Kids