8 Best Vegan Sushi Bowl Recipes For Your Kids
Although you might be accustomed to sushi mainly made of raw fish, these 8 vegan bowls and rolls will have you reconsidering everything! These recipes, which are adaptable and delectable, will make you completely forget about fish sushi.
1. Quick Veggie-Sushi
With this recipe, I'll demonstrate just how simple it is to prepare vegan sushi. With this method, you can make excellent sushi at home without buying sushi rice or going through the lengthy traditional process.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes | Servings: 1-2
- Nori seaweed: 2 sheets
- Cooked brown rice: 8 tablespoons
- Red cabbage: 6 tablespoons
- Yellow pepper: ¼
- Black sesame seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce or tamari: 2 tablespoons
- Rice or sushi vinegar: 1 (optional)
- Place a Nori seaweed sheet on a bamboo mat or a piece of film (place the rough part on the top).
- On the rough side of the nori seaweed, distribute 4 tablespoons of cooked brown rice across this area, taking up ⅔ of it. Use your hands to crush it so that it adheres to the blade.
- In the center of the rice, distribute three tablespoons of sauerkraut that has been quartered and half of a yellow pepper that has been chopped into strips.
- Compact it by pressing firmly. Cut the necessary thickness with a wet knife.
- Apply the same procedure to the opposite plate. Add some black sesame seeds to the area.
- Prepare the sauce ingredients, then get ready to dine!
2. Cauliflower Rice Sushi
It's easier than you might think to make sushi. This raw, vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, cauliflower rice sushi is delicious!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes | Servings: 2
Ingredients For The Sushi
- Raw nori: 4 sheets
- Cauliflower florets: 2 cups
- Carrots: 1
- Capsicum: ½
- Spring onions: 2
- Cilantro: ¼ cup
- Sunflower sprouts: ½ cup (optional)
Ingredients For The Sweet And Spicy Sauce
- Medjool dates: 2, soaked for ½ hour
- Tahini: 1 tablespoon
- Ginger: 1 thumb-length, minced
- Raw apple cider vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Tamari: 2 teaspoons
- Filtered/spring water: ¼ cup or more as needed to make creamy
- Squeeze of lemon
- To make the sauce creamy, add additional water as needed throughout the blending process.
- Till they resemble rice, gradually pulse the cauliflower florets in the food processor.
- The remaining ingredients you've chosen should be sliced and placed on the nori sheet so that they cover two-thirds of it.
- Place a bowl with some water in the area. Once you've nearly finished rolling, wet your finger and dab the end of the wrap generously to seal it.
- To help it settle, place the roll in the refrigerator. Once you've utilized all of your components, repeat this process.
3. Spicy Tomato Tuna Sushi
With this environmentally friendly vegan sushi, we substituted tomato for the tuna, giving it a wonderful seafood flavour from seaweed, tamari, and other umami-rich ingredients. Sushi lovers will adore this tomato “tuna” nigiri, served over sushi rice and topped with spicy vegan mayo.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Servings: 2
Ingredients For The Sushi
- Large Roma tomatoes: 2
- Soy sauce or gluten-free tamari: 1½ tablespoons
- Kelp powder: ½ heaping tablespoon
- Minced ginger: ½ teaspoon
- Sriracha: ½ teaspoon
- Sesame oil: ½ teaspoon
- Nori sheets: 3
- Small cucumber: ½
Ingredients For The Sushi Rice
- Sushi rice: 1 cup
- Plus: 1 cup,
- Water: 2 tablespoons
- Rice vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Sugar: 2 teaspoons
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Cook the sushi rice with the water in a rice cooker. Add the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar when the rice is almost done. Use a fork to mash the rice to make it sticky slightly.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil while the rice is cooking. Have a sizable bowl of ice water available.
- After cutting the tomatoes with a knife, place them in the water. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon after boiling them until the skin peels off. Add tomatoes to the ice water to stop them from cooking further.
- In a container with a cover, blend soy sauce or tamari with ginger, kelp powder, Sriracha, and sesame oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Slice the flesh of the tomatoes away from the watery seeds after peeling them. Slice the tomato flesh finely, then add it to the marinade container. Put the lid on and shake it to distribute the coating over the tomato pieces evenly.
- Prepare your sushi rolling station, and cut the tomato into matchstick-thin pieces. A kitchen towel covered in plastic wrap lay on a counter or cutting board.
- On top of the plastic wrap, place a nori sheet. Spread a skinny coating of sushi rice evenly across the nori using damp fingers. Leave about an inch of room on either end of the sheet so you can wrap them.
- Layer your tomato spicy tuna topping on the rice with a few cucumber matchsticks. You won't be able to wrap the rice up if the toppings are more than 2 inches thick.
- Carefully peel up the sushi roll's edge using your fingers and over the edge. When the vegetables are completely covered, roll the plastic wrap and towel together, using them to shape and compress the sushi roll. Continue rolling it up completely. Ensure to seal the edges. Serve the sushi roll after cutting it with a sharp knife.
4. Rainbow Unicorn Sweet Potato Sushi
Try this rainbow sushi if you want to eat something extraordinary. This sushi is a beautiful visual feast because of the colourful rice, naturally tinted by ingredients like turmeric, beet powder, spirulina, and purple cabbage.
Although roasted sweet potatoes and vibrant, crisp bell peppers are the default filling for each roll, feel free to substitute your preferred ingredients.
Prep time: 60 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1½ hours | Servings: 5
- Uncooked sushi rice: 2 cups
- Bell pepper: 1
- Cucumber: 1
- Sweet potato: 1
- Turmeric, to make yellow
- Beet powder to make red
- Spirulina or matcha for green colour: 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda: ½ teaspoon
- Purple cabbage for purple colour: ¼ piece
- Nori: 5 sheets
- Sugar: 1-2 tablespoons
- Rice vinegar: ¼ cup
- Gochujang for orange colour: 1 teaspoon (optional)
Method To Make The Rice
- The sushi rice should be cooked, cooled, and then rice vinegar and sugar, to taste, added to the bowl of sushi rice. With a wooden spoon, combine it (this will help prevent the rice from breaking).
- Each colour is created by placing a little amount of rice—about ½ cup—in a shallow bowl and adding the natural food colouring. Don't add too much of each food colouring because you only want to colour the rice; if you do, the taste may be overly altered.
- Use a tiny amount of beet powder for red. Use a little gochujang or a turmeric and beet powder combo for the orange colour. Add some turmeric to make it yellow. Use a dash of turmeric and a little spirulina to make it green. Please read the following for information about blue and purple.
Method To Make The Blue And Purple Rice
- Boil ¼ of a chopped cabbage head in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes, until only 1 cup of water remains. To prepare the blue food colouring, save roughly 3 tablespoons of the purple water and use it for cooking ½ cup of sushi rice.
- Use some leftover white rice from the blue rice you prepared to create purple rice now that you have it. It turns blue when you add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the purple water. Add this to the sushi rice and thoroughly combine.
Method To Assemble The Sushi
- Roast the sweet potatoes, sliced into strips, for 20 minutes at 390°F in the preheated oven.
- Make strips out of the remaining ingredients.
- Grab a bamboo roller now, and wrap it in plastic to keep it clean. Once you've covered the entire surface with rice strips in all the colours, add a sheet of nori and top it with the filling.
- After rolling the sushi, moisten the ends of the nori sheets with water to make them sticky before setting it on a dish or cutting board. Once you've rolled up all of your rolls, slice them with a sharp knife after moistening them.
5. Mango Beet Sushi
These sushi rolls are stunning, vibrant, and loaded with healthy ingredients! Beets are a heart-healthy item to eat. Why not make this root vegetable into sushi, a delicacy beloved by foodies?
Beet is combined with sweet mango, juicy cucumber, and cucumber to create a stunningly sweet, crunchy, and savoury sushi bite.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes | Servings: 3
- Rice, regular or sushi: 1 cup
- Water: 2 cups
- Mango: 1 large, sliced
- English cucumber: 1 large, sliced
- Beets: 8 oz. peeled, roasted and sliced
- Nori: 4-5 sheets
- Sesame seeds
- Rinse the rice well to achieve the best results. After that, pour it into a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, cover and lower the heat. Cook until all water is absorbed, which should take 15 to 20 minutes. Permit to cool. To make classic sushi rice, combine cooked rice with 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar and 2 teaspoons of dissolved sugar.
- Prepare your vegetables and set up your sushi bar while cooking or cooling the rice. To avoid sticky rice, I like to split all of my vegetables into separate dishes and keep a small bowl of water nearby for wetting my fingers.
- Lay a piece of nori on a bamboo mat before assembling the sushi. Rice should be put onto nori using wet fingers. After that, arrange your vegetables close to the rice's center.
- Lift the bamboo mat's bottom and roll the nori sheet and rice around the contents. To keep it in place, hold the filling in the center. Roll the sushi with the help of a bamboo roll.
- Slice and serve with soy sauce, aminos, pickled ginger, and wasabi. Serve.
6. Kimchi Sushi Bowl
This deconstructed summer sushi bowl includes some of the most cooling items traditionally used in sushi. The kimchi and the vegan spicy mayonnaise drizzle are close runners-up, but the mango is the dish's real star. If you're in the mood for sushi rolls rather than a sushi bowl, you can make this recipe by substituting the flavours and textures of the components.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Servings: 1
Ingredients For The Sushi Bowl
- Rice: 1 cup, cooked (any type works)
- Fresh mango: 1 cup, cubed
- Cucumber: 1 small, thinly sliced
- Homemade kimchi or store-bought: ¼ cup
- Green onion: 1, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds to taste
Ingredients For The Spicy Mayonnaise Drizzle
- Medium firm tofu: 1 block, rinsed
- Lemon juice: 3 tablespoons
- Sriracha: 1-2 tablespoons
- Garlic powder: 2 teaspoons
- Crushed pepper flakes: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
Thoroughly blend the mayo ingredients and chill until you are ready to assemble the sushi.
- Follow the rice cooking directions on the package.
- Cut and prepare the mango as well as all the vegetables. Create the bowl with whatever you wish.
7. Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Sushi
This low-carb sushi with cauliflower and turmeric is the ideal way to eat well while still savouring the mouthwatering sushi tastes. These rolls' foundation is made of cauliflower and turmeric, while the tangy sauce holds everything together.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Servings: 3
Ingredients For The Sushi
- Raw cauliflower: 2 cups
- Flesh from young Thai coconut: ½ cup
- Ginger: 1 teaspoon, grated
- Turmeric: 1 teaspoon
- Nori: 3 sheets
- Red bell pepper: ¼, cut into strips
- Yellow bell pepper: ¼, cut into strips
- Medium cucumber: ½, cut into strips
- Salad greens: 1 cup, washed
Ingredients For The Sauce
- Tamari: 1 tablespoon
- Mirin: 1 tablespoon
- Sesame oil: 1 tablespoon
- Small red chilli: ½, finely chopped
- In a food processor, combine the cauliflower, ginger, turmeric, young Thai coconut flesh, and enough liquid to form a pulp.
- Lay one nori sheet onto a sushi roller mat. Take one-third of the mixture and spread it on the nori sheet. There ought to be enough mixture for three nori rolls.
- Leave approximately an inch at one end so you can roll it up neatly without things spilling out. Cover the majority of it.
- Afterward, arrange the salad greens, red bell pepper, and cucumber in the center.
- Roll it into a sushi roll. It can take some getting used to.
- Serve the dipping sauce and the sushi by combining all the ingredients in a small ramekin.
- Serve the sliced sushi.
8. Roasted Sweet Potato Sushi
This savoury sushi is airy, sophisticated, and utterly delightful. You use a nori sheet to tightly enclose the sour rice after you pack it with crisp, fresh cucumbers and soft, creamy roasted sweet potatoes. This ideal appetizer for a formal dinner works well as lunch.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes | Servings: 3
Ingredients For The Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Tamari or coconut aminos: 1 tablespoon
- Date syrup: 1 tablespoon
- Large sweet potato: 1
- Flax seeds to sprinkle: 1 tablespoon
Ingredients For The Roll
- Brown rice: 1 cup (feel free to use white or sushi rice instead)
- Water: 2 cups
- Rice vinegar: 1½ tablespoons (optional)
- Nori: 3 sheets
- Cucumber: ¾, cut lengthwise into strips
- Sesame seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Wasabi (optional)
- Pickled ginger (optional)
- Scallions: 2 (optional)
- Tamari, or coconut aminos: 1 tablespoon
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Put the paper on a baking sheet.
- In a small dish, combine the date syrup, coconut aminos, and tamari.
- Cut the sweet potato lengthwise into strips slightly under ½ inch thick after peeling. Cut the sweet potato into strips like you would for sweet potato fries.
- After applying the mixture to the sweet potato strips, add the flax seeds.
- Set them up on the baking sheet. Next, bake for about 25 minutes, flipping the baking dish gently halfway through, until soft and lightly golden.
- Brown rice should be rinsed for 1-2 minutes in the cold, running water and placed in a fine mesh strainer.
- Put the brown rice, water, and vinegar in a small pot (if you use rice vinegar). Set it over a hot flame.
- Before simmering, give it a few stirs. Next, turn down the heat, cover the pot, and simmer it for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has been completely absorbed.
- On your work surface, lay a baking sheet coated with paper, and wet your fingers with running water. On the baking sheet, place one of your nori sheets. Put a thin layer of brown rice on top of the nori with your damp hands.
- One inch from you and down the width of the nori sheet, arrange a third of the sweet potato strips in a single line. Place a few cucumber slices just next to the sweet potato strips.
- Roll your fillings tightly in the nori sheet, starting with the end closest to you and the baking sheet. Roll the nori until it reaches the end, pressing it tightly against the baking sheet as you go. It is improper to tear a baking sheet. Once completely rolled, cut the roll into around eight pieces with a sharp knife.
- Repetition is required with the remaining nori sheets and filling.
- Add the sesame seeds and tamari or coconut aminos. Use the optional toppings, such as scallions, then, if you'd like, serve it with wasabi or pickled ginger.
The health advantages of vegetarian sushi rely significantly on the materials used in its preparation. Cucumber, carrot, avocado, and tofu are standard options.
Sushi produced from these foods can help you stay healthier because they are very nutritious and contain health-promoting ingredients. So don't miss trying these vegan sushi bowl recipes at your home.
I trust you enjoyed this article about the 8 Best Vegan Sushi Bowl Recipes For Your Kids. Please stay tuned for more blog posts to come shortly. Take care!
>>>Want To Learn How To Create Delicious, Cruelty-Free, Healthy AND 100% Vegan Meals? Try These Awesome Vegan Cooking Courses With A Free 7-DAY MEMBERSHIP<<<
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
Ideas? Thoughts? Questions? I would love to hear from you. Would you please leave me your questions, experience, and remarks about this article on the 8 Best Vegan Sushi Bowl Recipes For Your Kids in the comments section below? You can also reach me by email at Jeannette@LivingTheVeganLifestyle.org.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate and other affiliate programs. Read my full disclosure.