Yummy Breadfruit Vegan Recipes With Health Benefits
Breadfruit contains more complex carbohydrates than other white starches and has a lower glycemic index. A 12-cup serving of breadfruit contains 25% of your daily fiber requirements. Eating local breadfruit is a great way to eat healthily and reduce your food's carbon footprint. Let’s try the most popular vegan breadfruit recipes.
1. Vegetarian Breadfruit Pie
This vegetarian potato pie dish has been adapted into a breadfruit pie. It has a similar texture and flavour and that oh-so-delicious cheesiness.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Servings: 9
- Breadfruit: 1
- Butter: 3 tablespoons
- Cheese: 2 cups
- Fresh seasonings (chives, cilantro, basil, garlic, etc.): ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Bring a big saucepan of water to a boil over medium heat.
- Breadfruit should be washed and cut in half, then quarters. Peel the skin and remove the core. Cut the chicken into small pieces. Place in a bowl of water right away.
- Rinse the pieces in clear water until they are clean. Toss into the pot. Cook until the meat is soft (approximately 15 to 30 minutes). Remove the pan from the heat and rinse to eliminate any sticky residue. Mix the remaining ingredients with a fork, including 1 cup of cheese. Top with the remaining cheese in a greased baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake the cheese for 15 minutes or until completely melted.
2. Caribbean Style Curry Breadfruit
Curry and breadfruit are both famous in the Caribbean, so why not combine the two? This Caribbean Style Curry Breadfruit is easy to make and contains no meat.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Servings: 8
- Breadfruit(fresh or frozen) cut into chunks: 1 lb
- Thyme: 2 branches
- Garlic cloves: 2-3 minced
- Onion: 1 medium
- Bell pepper: 1 medium
- Water: ½ cup
- Vegetable or olive oil: ¼ cup
- Curry powder: 3 tablespoon
- Tomato paste: 2 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper: ½ teaspoon
- Breadfruit chunks should be placed in a pot of salted boiling water. Cook until the breadfruit is tender and can be pierced with a fork, about 10-12 minutes. Don't let them boil for too long.
- Drain and set aside after they've been cooked. Over medium heat, heat the oil in a large saucepan or skillet, then add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Cook for a total of 2-3 minutes.
- Combine the curry, salt, black pepper, tomato paste, and water in a mixing bowl. Stir everything together, then cover and reduce to low heat, allowing it to cook for 5-7 minutes. Cook for 7-10 minutes after adding the breadfruit chunks.
- Serve and enjoy!
3. Fried Breadfruit
Try this spiced breadfruit snack, which is affordable, healthy, vegan, and gluten-free. It's a tasty snack that works well as a side dish with curries and rice. Prepare, fry, and savour your meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time:10 minutes | Servings: 1
- Ripe Breadfruit: 1
- Turmeric Powder: 2 teaspoons
- Chilli Powder: ½ tablespoon
- Garam Masala: 2 teaspoons
- Garlic Paste: 2 tablespoons
- Chaat Masala to garnish
- Salt: 1 pinch
- Pepper: 1 pinch
- White Wine Vinegar: 1 dash
- Remove the breadfruit's rough peel. Combine the marination ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the breadfruit till golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Serve the fried breadfruit with a dipping sauce like ketchup, mayonnaise, or Sriracha mayonnaise.
4. Simple Breadfruit Pie Recipe
This breadfruit pie recipe is a must-try if you're looking for a potato or macaroni pie substitute. The cheese topping, made with boiling breadfruit, dairy, and seasonings, ensures that your pie tastes exquisite.
Prep time: 1 hour 25 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Servings: 12
- Breadfruit: 1
- Coconut milk: 1 cup
- Vegan cheese like cheddar or mozzarella: 2 cups
- Vegan butter: 2 tablespoon
- Chives: ½ cup, chopped
- Caribbean green seasoning with shadow beni, garlic, and thyme: 2 tablespoons
- Oregano: 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Half-cut, then quarter-cut breadfruit. Remove the stem from the breadfruit. Place stem side down and let aside for 1 hour to drain—Preheat a large pot over medium-high heat. Fill the kettle halfway with water and bring to a boil. Breadfruit should be peeled—Half-cut, then quarter-cut.
- Put the pieces in a bowl of salted water. Remove the breadfruit's center (the part that turns brown). Cut each component into 1- to 2-inch sections. Clean the breadfruit chunks by rinsing them.
- Half-cut, then quarter-cut. Remove the stem from the breadfruit. Place stem side down and set aside for 1 hour to drain—Preheat a large pot over medium-high heat. Fill the kettle halfway with water and bring to a boil. Breadfruit should be peeled—Half-cut, then quarter-cut.
- Toss in with the hot water. To the water, add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the breadfruit to a boil until it is tender (about 15 to 30 minutes). Once the mixture is soft, strain it.
- Rinse to get rid of any remaining stickiness. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a potato masher, crush the breadfruit. Combine milk, 1 cup cheese, butter, Caribbean green seasoning, oregano, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Completely incorporate.
- Chop the chives and add them in. Make a thorough mix. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste. Place in a baking tray that has been greased. Finish with a dusting of oregano and the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and melted.
- Remove the dish from the oven and serve immediately.
5. Breadfruit Curry
An excellent vegetarian alternative is breadfruit curry. From Sri Lanka, where it's known as del, to Fiji and Jamacia, this meal is popular worldwide. This is a pretty simple dish with components that should be readily available.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Servings: 4
- Coconut oil: 2 tablespoons
- Minced garlic: 4 cloves
- Fresh ginger: 1 knob, minced
- Onion: ½, diced
- Bell pepper: ½, diced
- Breadfruit: ½, cut into small chunks
- Coconut milk: 1 can
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Chilli powder: ⅛ teaspoon
- Curry powder: 2 tablespoons
- Water: ½ cup or more as needed
- In a saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Cook for five minutes, stirring periodically, with the garlic, ginger, onion, and pepper in the oil.
- Cook for a few minutes, occasionally stirring until the breadfruit is mostly browned. Combine the coconut milk, spices, and water in a mixing bowl. Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat, cover, and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the breadfruit is tender when pierced with a fork. It should have the texture of a cooked potato. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more water and whisk it in.
- Serve with rice or chapati.
Health Benefits Of Breadfruit
Breadfruit is high in nutrients that help decrease cholesterol, fight infections, and maintain youthful skin and hair. It is a diabetic-friendly food because it includes a lot of fiber, which slows down glucose absorption.
It's high in potassium, a heart-healthy vitamin that regulates blood pressure and heart rhythm. Breadfruit is a nutrient-dense fruit. As a result, the health benefits are numerous. It contains a lot of fiber. It's high in proteins, vital amino acids, vitamin C, vitamin B1, vitamin B5, and minerals.
These nutrients aid in the strengthening of the immune system by lowering the risk of infection. They also help to develop bones and improve skin and hair. Furthermore, the nutrients help control diabetes, decrease cholesterol, and improve skin and hair health.
1. Improves Heart Health
Potassium is abundant in breadfruit. Potassium contributes to the smooth flow of blood via the arteries. It does so by controlling the heart's muscle contractions. It regulates your heart rate and blood pressure a result. High amounts of harmful cholesterol cause multiple cardiovascular illnesses.
Atherosclerosis, heart attack, stroke, and other disorders fall under this category. Dietary fiber has been shown in studies to help lower cholesterol levels. This is because fiber binds to cholesterol and transports it out of the body. Omega-3 fatty acids also aid in raising healthy cholesterol levels.
2. Prevents And Controls Diabetes
For people with diabetes, breadfruit is an excellent choice. They are a protein-dense, low-glycemic alternative since they are high in dietary fibre and protein. According to one study, breadfruit flour can help people with diabetes control their blood sugar levels. Fibre moves slowly through the digestive tract. As a result, it takes longer for the meal to be digested. As a result, blood glucose levels do not spike after a meal.
3. Aids Digestion
Dietary fiber aids in bowel movement improvement. Dietary fibre softens the feces by absorbing water in the intestines. As a result, the stool flows through with ease. As a result, high-fibre meals like breadfruit help to reduce constipation and indigestion. They help boost gut health by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria in the body. Furthermore, studies have revealed that they improve immunity, and reduce infections and inflammation.
4. Improves Brain Function
Iron, vitamin C, and many other nutrients are abundant in breadfruit. The normal functioning of blood cells necessitates the consumption of iron. They help to carry oxygen to all of the body's organs. Furthermore, anemia can be caused by a lack of iron. The oxygen flow to the brain also decreases due to a lack of iron.
5. Improves Reproductive Health
Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids can be found in breadfruit. As a result, it boosts male and female fertility. Omega-3 fatty acids were found to boost sperm motility in a study.
Additionally, they aid in the production of sperm. Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to help women with PCOD studies. Insulin resistance is also increased. Breadfruit's antioxidants can help to prevent prostate and ovarian cancers.
6. Prevents Cancer
Vitamin A, vitamin C, and omega-3 fatty acids are antioxidants that help prevent cancer. Cancer is usually caused by unregulated cell development due to long-term free radical damage to the cells. Antioxidants, as previously said, aid in the reduction of free radicals in the body. As a result, they stop cancer from spreading and growing. Furthermore, studies have shown that antioxidants aid in destroying cancer cells.
7. Helps With Weight Management
Breadfruit is an excellent addition to a weight-loss diet. Breadfruit is high in dietary fiber, which is essential for weight loss. Furthermore, fiber keeps one satiated for more extended periods. As a result, the desire to eat harmful meals decreases. As a result, it aids in the prevention of unwanted weight gain.
8. Improves Skin Health
Vitamin C increases skin suppleness by promoting collagen formation. It also promotes the regeneration of new skin cells. Vitamin C has also been demonstrated to prevent skin from UV damage in tests. As a result, it aids in the reduction of the harmful effects of damaging UVA and UVB rays, such as wrinkles, skin laxity, and symptoms of aging.
As a result, consuming this fruit protects you against skin changes associated with aging. Because healthy skin leads to a young appearance, including breadfruit in one's diet is a surefire method to stay in shape for the rest of one's life.
9. Regulates Blood Pressure
When hypertension worsens, it can lead to a stroke or heart failure. Breadfruit's potassium has been shown to have antihypertensive characteristics in studies. It widens the arteries, which helps to minimize blood vessel tension. As a result, the blood flow is improved. As a result, blood pressure is regulated, and hypertension is avoided.
10. Improves Bone Health
Breadfruit is abundant in minerals. Calcium, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium are also present. According to research, calcium and phosphorus appear to be equally important for bone health.
They help build a strong structure, increase bone density, and avoid fractures. In the end, they lower the chance of disorders such as osteoporosis. Breadfruit is high in vitamin K, which helps to prevent bone problems.
11. Strengthens Immunity
Antioxidants are well-known for their immune-boosting properties. Fibre also aids in the development of immunity. According to studies, Fibre works as nourishment for the healthy bacteria in the gut. As a result, it aids in the growth of beneficial bacteria.
Meanwhile, they are destroying bacteria that are hazardous to humans. Breadfruits have anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, they boost the immune system's reaction to viruses and kill them. They also aid in the control of bowel movements.
12. Develops Resistance To Infections
Breadfruit is high in antioxidants, which help to strengthen the immune system and create resistance to illnesses. It protects the body against the damaging effects of free radicals, which can cause aging, age-related disorders, and cancer.
13. Brimming With Goodness Of Fiber
Dietary fiber has been linked to several health benefits, including lowering cholesterol levels by inhibiting absorption, healing constipation, lowering blood pressure, and protecting the mucous membrane of the colon by warding off cancer-causing chemicals.
14. Nourishes Hair
Breadfruit is high in nutrients that are good for hair and necessary for staying healthy. Because it is high in Vitamin C, it aids in absorbing minerals, particularly iron, and thus offers appropriate nourishment for hair. Iron stimulates hair follicles and promotes hair growth by improving blood circulation in the scalp.
Breadfruit's fatty acids help to regulate sebum production and alleviate dandruff and itching. It also keeps hair under control by inhibiting scalp irritation and cell death.
15. Enhances Energy In The Body
They are high in carbs, which give the body the energy it requires for vigorous activities. A cup of breadfruit has 60 grams of carbohydrates. Breadfruit is an energy-boosting snack heavy in carbohydrates and calories while also containing a good amount of dietary fiber that helps balance the contents. Consuming a moderate amount of this fruit, mainly the porridge regularly serves to invigorate the body and keep one full without boosting calorie consumption.
16. Good For Pregnancy
This fruit has a high concentration of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, essential during pregnancy. Polyunsaturated fatty acids such as omega 3 and omega 6 stimulate embryonic growth and are the primary building blocks for fetal retina and neuron formation.
17. Repair Of Body Tissues And Cell
They're high in minerals like iron, which are required for blood synthesis. The red blood cells and muscle cells contain the highest concentration of iron in the body. Hemoglobin, a component of red blood cells, is critical for transporting oxygen from the lungs to the connective tissues in human blood.
Phosphorus is also a good source of calcium, which aids in developing and repairing bodily structures and cells. Breadfruit contains selenium and copper, which help the body's metabolic processes and cellular functioning.
When ripe, breadfruit can be eaten raw, but when unripe, it must be cooked. Unripe breadfruit can be cooked in the same way that potatoes are. The white flesh has a bread-like texture and a flavour similar to that of an artichoke or a chestnut.
Don’t miss trying these delicious vegan breadfruit recipes, hope your family members will love them very much. Don’t miss trying breadfruit vegan recipes; let us know which one you liked the most.
I trust you enjoyed this article about the Yummy Breadfruit Vegan Recipes With Health Benefits. Please stay tuned for more blog posts to come shortly. Take care!
>>>Do You Want To Surprise Your Family And Guests With Delicious Vegan Lunches And Dinners On A Regular Basis? Become A Member At Veecoco – My #1 Recommendation – And Have Access To Over 700 Delicious, Healthy AND 100% Vegan Recipes<<<
Your Opinion Is Important To Me
Ideas? Thoughts? Questions? I would love to hear from you. Would you please leave me your questions, experience, and remarks about this article on the Yummy Breadfruit Vegan Recipes With Health Benefits, in the comments section below? You can also reach me by email at Jeannette@LivingTheVeganLifestyle.org.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure.